Thursday 7 February 2013

Let them eat cake.

There is just about every single magazine out there telling me what I should and shouldn't be eating right now. And to be perfectly frank I couldn't care less. I honestly don't give a rat's arse as to whether I should cut back on the cake or the chocolate or what new fad diet I should be on because it doesn't matter. I'm not fat, I'm not underweight, I'm just right and so are most other girls and boys my age too. However, they're being told that they're not healthy enough. They don't go outside anymore, they sit around too much, they eat too much crap, they're not sociable, they're too fat, they're too skinny, they all have eating disorders etc, etc. Well maybe, just possibly, this is all because it's thrown in our faces that we're basically a disgrace to the older generations. That we just don't know how easy we have it, how lucky we are.

What if we hadn't had such an obsession in the media about what we eat and how our bodies look? Would we be more like the other generations before us? Would less girls be sticking fingers down their throats to get a slimmer figure? Would more teenagers just eat cake because their metabolisms are wonderfully fast?

Why aren't kids told that? That would make a happier world, right? "Hey, kids, eat everything you want at this time in your lives because later on that stomach won't hold. You can eat six Milky Ways and probably not put any weight on right now so spend this time wisely. Go wild." I'm pretty sure if that message was sent out to teenagers, apart from possibly now fearing reaching 40 even more, there would probably be less cases of eating disorders.

So if the media would kindly like to leave us alone and create our own generation instead of being encouraged to starve ourselves instead of going down to the chippy whilst we still can, that would be wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Mollie. I am guilty as charged. Could eat anything I wanted as a teenager (and did) and not I tell my kids to be careful. Hypocritical spoil-sport #1. That's me I'm afraid.

    You post has made me wonder why I do that. I need to back off a bit. Let my kids enjoy these fun years. I guess the reason I have is not because eating anything (and everything) as a teen hurt me back then, but rather because at 42, I now find myself somewhat a slave to the bad habits I taught myself as a teen.

    There is no reset button when you hit 21. You carry your lessons and habits and even addictions in to adult life and just like any parent I want to spare my kids my pain.

    Sorry kids! and thank you Mollie for making me think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stuart. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling your kids to be careful, just don't make them feel guilty when they do eat unhealthily! And I'm glad this post made you think.

    ReplyDelete