Wednesday 1 December 2021

I have turned 24.

I turned 24 last Thursday. I have reached the age now where every time a birthday comes around I think "God, that went quickly. How on earth can I be this old?" and also "wow, remember when I was younger and I felt old then? That Mollie didn't even know what was going to hit her." Which I'm assuming is just a sentiment I will now have forever and ever. Not least because I haven't actually reached a quarter of a century yet. 

To celebrate I ate a lot of very delicious food, drank copious amounts of alcohol, and sang very loudly into a microphone with my closest friends at karaoke. I felt very full, in multiple ways, but mainly with love. 

In the last few years I have become a softer, calmer, more accepting version of myself. I move forward into a future I have no way of predicting, and it no longer frightens me so much. I accept it. I accept that there may be harder times ahead, that I may feel greater pain than before, that I may lose and grieve and get lost. I also accept that none of that is real until it happens. I have no control over anything except the way I experience the world. I choose to be calmer, I choose to be softer, I choose to be compassionate in as many ways as I can. 

And whatever happens, whatever happens, I know that I am surrounded by people who love me deeply and who I love deeply back. It's all going to be okay, baby. It is all okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment