Wednesday 7 August 2019

Clearing out.

I have been clearing out my room to make space for my new life in it. My adult life. Likelihood is I won't be able to afford to move out of my family home for a while and so my parents are kind enough to house me until I can finally flee the nest.

So I had to do this clearing up to allow myself to feel like an adult rather than a teenager surrounded by the forgotten objects of her childhood. Okay, not so forgotten. I am a sucker for sentimental memorabilia. I couldn't bring myself to throw out my extensive Doctor Who collection so it now resides in a box under my bed. But it's funny how we apply meaning to literal 'things', how it's a slight thrill to purge all the useless crap you've collected over the years.

A new beginning means a blank space is needed, somewhere to fill with new memories, a new self. I have not completely wiped the slate clean. Parts of my life are still represented by material objects placed around my room, but it feels pretty good to finally let go of that year 10 science book I felt ridiculous sentimental attachment to a few years ago. Its in the back of my car ready to get recycled at the tip. I guess that makes me feel a bit more grown up...

No comments:

Post a Comment